Monday, October 20

yes, virginia-this is a college town (part 2)

we've mentioned that gainesville is beloved. i've discussed it, my readers have mentioned it (thanks, readers!), others have mentioned it-and often repeat one another-here, here, here and here.*
*the last link is my favorite-for oh so many reasons.

when i wrote the first part of this post series, i was motivated by a realization that this town is seriously lacking in a few areas. depending on whom you ask, it's more than a few areas, but i'll stick with 'a few' for now. for some reason this idea i had really REALLY bugged me, but instead of posting a rant complaining about why i was annoyed, i decided to go under the irritation and think about why i was so bothered. i came to the conclusion that something was very wrong with this town, and the reason why it got under my skin was because i love gville for so many reasons. like a proud parent or an adoring child, i couldn't bear to think of what i loved it not living up to its potential, or perhaps more appropriately, my expectations.

let me warn you-some will find this trivial. some will disagree completely. but it still rankles me, so here it is:
gainesville doesn't have enough kids my age to play with.
gainesville doesn't have a college radio station.
gainesville doesn't have a quality independent music store.
and this one will probably make me a few enemies, but gainesville doesn't have that great of a music scene.

BEFORE you start spewing forth hatred, please let me explain. i LOVE music. i love all kinds of music, and i know that's cliche, but i really do. it's all there in my personal pantheon of musical deities: the crazy atonal experimental stuff, live anything of just about every genre (if performed well or at least with some passion), blues, jazz, classical, punk, ska, alt-rock (not the whiny crap), indie, electronica of all kinds, bluegrass, opera, southern rock, you name it. sure, i have my favorites, but everybody gets a chance. here's my exception: i get bored quickly with musicians who lack the chops to back up the pose: if you're on stage just to get laid, AND you can't play whatever it is you're holding, we're done.

but i'm getting ahead of myself. let's start with my first point:
1) i wish gainesville had more kids my age to play with.
once i hit the magical 23, my peers began to dwindle slowly. once i finished grad school, they became virtually nonexistent. i miss people my age...more importantly, i miss people with similar lifestyles to my own, regardless of age. i don't miss living in a town with more senior citizens than grass blades, but still.

2) gainesville doesn't have a college radio station. if you're having a thought to the contrary that contains anything remotely associated with rock 104, please stop reading. there's a seat saved for you at rue bar, or someplace in 'midtown'. if you're thinking wuft, that's fine but it's npr, so it doesn't count right now.
we do have a new and upcoming community radio station, thanks to the civic media center. this is exciting, and meets the criteria set forth by many college radio stations. but true college radio, nope. this is especially shocking when you consider that a) we have a very active local music scene (i'll mention that later) and b) we have a highly acclaimed communications/journalism school.

3) gainesville doesn't have a quality independent music store. please correct me here. please. i'm dying for the latest manchester orchestra ep and there's no place in town where i can go pick it up. the typical refrain i hear in response to this is that college kids won't/don't pay for cds from indie record stores when they can download for free. it might be correct as far as gvl is concerned--most of these stores thrive on that post-college/pre-kids demographic, which gainesville sorely lacks (see #1 above). and no, buying online is not the same.

4) gainesville doesn't have that great of a music scene. our live music scene, while locally-focused, and occasionally talented, is lacking. i don't need to see a bunch of big, overplayed, corporate-label names. i'll settle for some regional ones. i don't have a problem with the local scene at all, it'd just be nice to get some different flavor than the punk/ska/emo/alt-rock-centered peeps we have here. and no offense to the younguns and old dogs, but it'd be nice to have some talent over 21 and under 50 come through town.
i know people who are into the local music scene, and for them it's nirvana. but there's a very proud, sometimes obnoxiously exclusive attitude about it that i don't remember from ten years ago. and instead of protecting local bands, it only weakens the overall quality of gainesville music.
the hardest pill to swallow is that we used to have every name in the business coming through here in addition to amazing local talent--what happened? granted, there is some amazing local talent, and some can put on a helluva show...i'm not trying to hate.
i realize that this is an extremely subjective issue-if all the bands you like are here, we have the best music scene ever. but for the rest of us, i wish whatever issue it is that's keeping every band i like from coming to town (except for robert randolph, thank jebus) would get solved.
you know, celine dion, xtina, 'lil wayne...the greats.
we can do better, gainesville.

9 comments:

  1. I'm with you Erin. I loved Gainesville when I was in college, but that was before I really got into music and craved the kind of things you talk of. Now that i think back, you're right. The only bands that really came through G'ville were the ska/punk 'Less than Jake-types'. Luckily, in my last two years, I was able to tap into the more artsy scene there...The Top, 706, Satchel's Pizza, student art shows, etc...but I can imagine that the average age bracket in Gainesville (18-23) would get old...quick! At least you have Orlando close by.

    See you Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA... Ok, how much can I write in this thing without it cutting me off. I will warn you, this will offend some people but some things just need to be said and yeah, I'm gonna say them. Huh hmmm... alright. I'll begin with the points you've made.

    1. Kids your age to play with: AGREED! Everyone is either in college, old and uber weird or in between the two and REALLY weird. I am not the most socially adapted person in the world, but I fear that if I stay here too long, I am going to turn into one of these weird people, therefore leaving myself totally unable to interact with non-weird people of the world. Again, I am not claiming to be the authority on this, but people in this town are flat WEIRD!

    2. No college radio station: Now, when I learned I was moving to Gvl, I felt like there would be a few things that would be a given in a college town. One, a good college radio station. HA! HA!!! Yeah, um... no. Not even a little bit. Radio sucks for the most part anyway, and thank Alah for mp3s and the interweb. I'm not too worried about the lack of college radio station but man... it would be NICE!!

    3. Lack of quality indie music store: YES YES YES!!! OK... NO good music stores!? REALLY!? COME ON! This is a college town. Young, hip, cutting edge? Right? WRONG! I feel like I've gone back in time. Ok, I have a specific taste in the types of music I like. I don't want anything I could get at FYE or Best Buy. I am not much a mainstream kind of guy when it comes to music. I like things deeper into the vain of musical expression. Not uber experimental but not this mindless shit the mainstream media tries to, and on a lot of occasions succeeds at spoon-feeding the masses. One indie music store with a mix of rock, electronic, indie, dj and other kinds of music. JUST ONE! I would say I got spoiled with Park Ave CD in Orlando, but shit... indie music stores are not really THAT hard to find! Unless you live in Gvl. I want to be able to go in, look around, listen on the open music station and be able to talk to the people who work there about what is out and what is coming out. Is that so much to ask?

    4. LACK OF MUSIC SCENE!!!!!!: Now, I am a guy who loves and lives-live shows. I've been to more shows in the past 3 years than I have my entire life. I find it's something that really drives and satisfies me. And all I heard before I moved here, from my friends who formally lived here... was how great the music/night life scene was. WRONG! Maybe "back-in-the-day" but certainly NOT now. No good clubs to listen to electric or indie music... unless you go to the douchebag bars. I'll leave those nameless. The Atlantic has a pretty good dance-indie night but it's on Thursday and they have shows on the weekend. Which would be great if they were any good. Not to dog the local bands in this town...they are just not my particular brand of vodka. And bigger acts... NONE! I don't want huge names that pack stadiums... just decent bands who can pack a small club or bar. We have plenty of bars/clubs in this town but there is nothing good coming though to go out and watch. And for a kid who LOVES live music... I feel like I've got a dagger stuck in my femoral artery and I'm slowly bleeding out. I like to go to good live shows and I want to be able to go somewhere and dance to non-fratty/booty club music. Is that so much to ask?????

    When I moved here from Orlando, I realized I had a big adjustment in store... but I had no idea how big.

    "This place is a geographic oddity... 2 (hours) from everywhere."

    My general complaints:
    - Everything is 2 hours away. Beach, a good music store, good clubs and ANY bigger city that might fill in the holes I've mentioned.
    - Everything around here is just a little off. Not the college kids. The locals! I don't know why... but it seems to be what I've seen.
    - I can't seem to find anyone in this town that can do what I need to them to do and have them do it RIGHT! Car repair, hair cuts, etc. It is a very strange phenom but it exists.
    - I lived in Orlando for 10 years... working and living in the downtown area and I feel less safe in this small town than I did in a BIG CITY. I just get this really sketchy vibe. Can't figure it out.

    My overall feeling about this town is that most people come here for college. The ones that like it and stay do so but through the years become weirder and weirder. And the locals are in a class by themselves.
    I'm not saying Gvl is hell. It's just not my speed I guess. But this is a blog about general Gvl complaints... and I think I've said my piece.

    I will admit, I love the various homeless/urban campers in this town. They are such characters! Always a fun thing to witness. If there is one things I've gotten here, it's some very interesting stories. But I count the days where I can get back to a place I really enjoy living. And people can say I'm not giving it a chance and that I am stuck on places I have lived previously... but when you live in a place the lacks not one... not 2 but MANY MANY things that you really enjoy in life... it begins to wear on you. It's like taking a person who LOVES plants and nature... and moving them to NYC. If anyone wants to open up a big door somewhere and let all the things I've said are NOT here, out... by all means... PLEASE DO SO!

    That's my time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding #3, there is one independent music store -- Hyde and Zeke's. That being said, the place isn't what it used to be. I think it lost a lot when it moved from University Avenue to NW 10th Ave. But maybe it moved because it had already started sliding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah... I know of two. Hyde & Zeke's and the one on University by Taco Bell... which I can't remember the name of. Zeke's is VERY disorganized and sketchy. The one on University is decent but again, things very disorganized and all new new music is behind a glass wall. I'm not sure why nobody can get it right. It's a pretty basic concept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow. sounds like someone needs to post on his own blog. ;)

    hyde and zeke's used to rock, kim-you're right about that. but it's awful now. mostly vinyl, appalling retail space, laughable staff.

    and kgb, the one by taco bell is 'hear again'. mostly used, and a decent selection of used, but the newer stuff is limited at best. the best part about 'hear again' used to be perry, the owner. haven't seen him around recently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look for people who post blogs that bring up the topic that is dear to my heart. Then, I see how many characters it takes until you are no longer allowed to comment. Apparently, with Blogger... that is limitless.

    I will perhaps post my own blog about Gainesville.

    All agreed... no indie music stores.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's the thing about UF. It's a big sports and frat university. This doesn't really attract the hipster, musically inclined, artsy, NPR listening type. The majority of people are perfectly happy with top 40 hits. I'm not saying that's a bad thing...I'm just sayin'. Not much funding goes into the arts at UF. Which is why all the art and music buildings are not named after alumni or large $ donors. It's just FAC, FAD, and so on. I could be way off, but at least that's how I saw it. That said, I loved my time there. And it is a tough school to get into because of high entrance criteria, etc. It's a fantastic school. But could I live in Gainesville now being the person I am today...nope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Erin, you've hit it on the head with #1. I never realized how OLD I was until I moved to Gainesville. Seriously - check out my Facebook friends - half of them are in their early twenties. That makes them over TEN YEARS younger than me! That makes for some odd gaps in conversation sometimes. My priorities are different. Hey, maybe I'm the weird "local" Organized Chaos is writing about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. People: Eh, it's adulthood in a college town.

    Music store: http://tonevendor.com/ is downtown but just lacks an "official" retail space. Make a pickup order and look around a bit. In business since 98 though in CA for several of those years. H&Z: I like Chaz but he's kinda given up on staying "current" and I can't blame him. Perry of Hear Again sold the biz to his son from what I heard. In general, it's hard to compete with Amazon MP3.

    Radio & "regional" bands: Agreed. Jeff had a pirate station in the late 90s. We did Wed night shows for several years and random playists on weekend nights. I used to be so up on Low Power FM politics and now I ashamedly haven't even heard WGOT yet. 97X was the closest Gville had to a "college" station in primetime hours. They did interviews and in-studios with bands playing the Covered Dish and other venues. That opportunity gave attention-getting bands a lot of incentive to travel off the typical tour route down into FL. When 97X died, so did some of that tourism.

    To a certain extent, though, I think the "problem" is less that good bands aren't coming, but that we don't know about them. I don't spend hours everyday reading about music like I did in the 90s.

    On the Bridge and The Caravan are two good 89.1 shows, but I always forget to listen on weekends. I still listen to 97X's former head DJ Jerry Gerard every weekday 10AM-noon on WNRN's webfeed. At least with feeds I can schedule them to open so I don't forget.

    BTW: vandals got us, too http://www.flickr.com/photos/birds_and_nests/3170684847/

    ReplyDelete