Tuesday, September 16

K.I.T.

i know i'm not alone here; stay with me for a second.
so i'm the first one to admit that i'm not good at keeping in touch with people. i don't know why exactly, it's just one of those things. i think about people all the time--friends, family, acquaintances i haven't seen in forever--i mean i really think about them. how they are, what's going on with them, when their birthday is, if they ever bought those shoes, etc. but somehow there's this disconnect between me thinking "i really should call 'x'" and the act of picking up the phone to do so. why? i don't know. and i don't discriminate-it's aunts, grandmas, siblings, friends from high school, friends from college, friends with whom i'm reunited after no contact for a decade, everybody. there are one or two exceptions, but that's about it. and then there's this bizarre guilt- and then it goes from a week to a month to six months. it's awful.


and here's my point: facebook and myspace make it so much worse. because now not only do i think about people and not call them, i can lurk about on their profile pages, leave a comment or two and feel like i've kept in touch, but i haven't. it's creepy actually, when you think about it. am i a social network junkie? eeesh.


classic example: i have a friend from high school (several, come to think of it. this applies to several friends from high school...or college. see?) to whom i was always close. we lost touch in college, then found each other again early this year. one or two emails back and forth, he sends me a link to his blog to catch me up on his life, and we say we should make plans to have dinner with our respective partners and/or friends. fast forward eight months, we still haven't met up or really talked, but i check his blog periodically to a) see what's up, and b) because i find him endlessly entertaining. KGB and i run into his wife at a local music festival this past weekend, but he's nowhere to be seen. of course, i recognize her from his blog and his photos, and that's when i become that person. i introduce myself to his poor unsuspecting (i assume) wife, who was very polite, explain why i recognize her and apologize for what's probably an awkward encounter, but as i did it, i realized that i was in completely new and uber creepy territory. interchange that festival and that friend with any of a dozen other friends and situations, and i'm in the same place again and again. we all have this knowledge of what's going on with each other, but with no firsthand experience to back it up. it's empty. it's isolating. it's just frigging bizarre. it's the classic complaint of the last century--we keep coming up with ways to make our lives easier, to save time, to lose weight, to be happier, to save money, to keep in closer contact, and we end up with exactly the opposite.


so what do we do? what do we do when we have every conceivable means of keeping in touch, but all we do is get further apart?

i'm gonna go get some ice cream. call me.

3 comments:

  1. I feel ya moto! I recognize people all the time from facebook/myspace and it makes me feel like a creepy stalker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, and you're one of the best people i know at keeping in touch with everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am guilty of not calling people. I just can't bring myself to do it. I don't really feel that bad... it's just one of those things. If someone calls me and I don't call them back I feel bad, but the phone works both ways. If someone wants to talk to me... they call. If they don't they are just as guilty of not calling as I am. As for myspace/facebook stalking, that's what those things are for! Whether you want to or not, you will recognize and meet 10 times more people by being on a social network than you would if you weren't. I've meet a lot of good friends that way. Less the random... "hey... wanna be friends", and more the "I saw you are friends with so & so... and bam, now we're friends too". It's when you start judging people for what they say on someone's page or being able to recite to them what was left on their page that I feel it moves into the creepy territory. Hell, myspace is less creepy than meeting some random person in a bar or parole hearing. :) If you don't want me to see what you have on your myspace page, don't post it. That's my philosophy, for what it's worth.

    ReplyDelete